We are often asked how to copy the Outlook Contacts from one machine to another.
First, it is important to understand that the “Contacts” are contained within a folder in the Outlook “Personal Folders” item. There is no separate “Contacts” file.
To copy the Contacts folder – do the following:
- Install the OutBack Plus Outlook backup program on the first or “source” machine.
- Use OutBack Plus to make a backup of the Outlook data on the “source” machine.
- Save or copy the backup to some media that is usable on the second or “target” machine.
- Install the OutBack Plus Outlook backup program on the “target” machine.
- Run OutBack Plus
- Click “Restore”
- Click “Import Outlook Data Files” – next step
- Locate the backup file from step 3 — open it
- Check the Outlook “Personal Folders” file to use. There is likely only one main Personal Folders file and perhaps an “archive” file. Check the main Personal Folders file.
- Finish the restore. OutBack Plus will show a short “Guide” to assist with the import. Leave this window showing.
- Run Outlook and follow the steps shown in the OutBack Plus “Guide” window.
- As you step through the Outlook import wizard – check only the “Contacts” folder — so that only the “Contacts” are imported. Note: by default, the import will replace any duplicate with the Contact information being imported.