Outlook Express Power Tools
OE Quick Tools is a set of tools to assist Outlook Express users. The tools provide functions which are not otherwise available in Outlook Express.
The tools are shown in a small panel overlaying the Outlook Express Tool Bar in the upper right. OE Quick Tools consists of visible and invisible tools. Each is described below.
- Outlook Express stores all mail attachments within the email message. It is easy to save the attachments to any folder you like but there is no function to remove/delete the attachments from the message. This makes the message folders larger and makes your system much slower.
- Simply drag a message and drop it on the Attachment Remover Tool to remove the attachment(s).
- Drag the message back and drop it into any Outlook Express folder.
- The attachments will be stripped from the message and the message will be updated with a notation showing the name(s) of the removed attachment(s).
- Once you send a message in Outlook Express, there is no way to re-send the message. This may be required if the message was sent to an invalid address, or, in a case where you want to send the same message to some other person.
- If you forward the message, it will have the ">" characters added by default.
- To Resend a message - simply drag it from Outlook Express and drop it on the Send Again Tool.
- The Template Tool is used to create and send standard messages. For example, you may have a standard reply you wish to send to a customer inquiry.
- Templates are made using Outlook Express and added to the template function via a simple drag/drop.
- To use a template, click on the Template Tool and select a template.
- A new message can also be "Auto Addressed" by dropping a message on the Template Tool and selecting the template.
Clean Text Tool (visible and non-visible tool)
- The Clean Text Tool is used to clean up text containing the >>> characters which result from replies and forwarding of messages
- Simply (a) Select the text, (b) drag the text to the "Cleaner" tool (c) Drop on the tool to remove the >>> characters and reformat the text.
- Or, (a) Select the text, (b) click the "Clean Text" icon to remove the >>> characters and reformat the text.
- Or, (a) Select the text, (b) hit the "Clean Text Hot Key" [ctrl-shift-k] to remove the >>> characters and reformat the text.
Smart Paste Tool (non-visible tool)
- When pasting text into a Plain Text message, Outlook Express will include formatting even though the message is supposed to be plain text. The formatting is not sent but it often destroys the layout of the message.
- The Smart Paste Tool will remove the extraneous formatting data to preserve the Plain Text Messages. (Hint: the Smart Paste Tool also works with other Windows programs like "Word").
Standard Text Tool (non-visible tool)
- Outlook Express includes a "Signature" function to paste standard data while creating a message. However, it is cumbersome to use for other than the default signature.
- The Standard Text Tool makes it easy to paste any text into a message with a couple of keystrokes.... significantly faster and easier than the function in Outlook Express.
Automatic BCC Tool (non-visible tool)
- The Auto BCC Tool will add a B.C.C. address to all outgoing mail messages. This is often used for mail audit purposes.
- There is no other way to automatically add a BCC to mail in Outlook Express.