OutBack Plus 8 - Detailed Update Notes
OutBack Plus 8 includes a number of new functions and features. This page is intended to acquaint users of prior versions of OutBack Plus with the new features. The most important updates include:
- Enhanced restore functionality - For OBP8, the Outlook restore function has been re-designed. The new restore "wizard" is more powerful but, at the same time, is easier to use.
- Full Profile Restore - OBP8 includes the ability to restore a complete Outlook profile ... i.e. all Outlook data and settings for a "profile".
- Google Apps Sync support - OBP8 can save and restore the set of files used for the Google Apps Sync for Outlook (utilizing the new Full Profile Restore - above).
- Unicode support - OBP8 fully supports the save and restore files with unicode file names.
- Google Chrome support - A save and restore of Google Chrome browser settings and data is now available in OBP8.
- Updated scheduler - OBP8 includes a new scheduling function to make it easy to utilize the Windows Scheduler to manage scheduled backup jobs.
OutBack Plus 7 - Detailed Update Notes
- Multiple profile support - OBP7 has significantly improved support for multiple Outlook Profiles - including:
¤ Backup and restore multiple Outlook profiles at once.
¤ Restore a backup with a single Outlook profile to a selected profile on a machine with multiple profiles.
¤ Restore a profile with do a different profile (cross profile restore).
- Integrated "Backup Now" - The "Backup Now" function (the function to repeat any prior backup "job" without using the backup wizard) is now integrated within the main OutBack Plus program. This reduces confusion and desktop clutter - as well as make the program simpler to use.
- Operates on Windows 7 - OutBack Plus 7 runs on Windows 7 with no additional compatibility settings.
- Improved UAC operation - The operation under Windows Vista and Windows 7 has been enhanced for smoother operation under the Vista/Windows 7 UAC (User Account Control) limitations.
- Silent Backups - Backups with OBP7 can be done "silently" [i.e. with no visible windows].
- Full support for IE8, IE9 and IE10 - Support for Internet Explorer features has been expanded to include:
¤ RSS Feeds
¤ Web Slices
¤ Search providers
- Outlook 2010 support - OBP8 supports Outlook 2010 [both 32 and 64 bit versions].
- Numerous reliability improvements - The OutBack Plus 7 update includes more than 50 additional improvements for reliability and usability.
OutBack Plus 6 - Detailed Update Notes
- Open File Manager - A new, optional, module "Open File Manager [OFM]" is available with OutBack Plus 6. The OFM allows a valid backup to be made while Outlook is running ...click for more information on the OFM.
- Works with Vista - OutBack Plus 6 is works with all versions of Vista.
- Outlook 2007 - support has been added for the OutLook 2007.
- New Scheduler - The OutBack Plus Scheduler has been completely re-written. You may now exercise much greater control over the scheduled job, including:
¤ Wake the computer to do the backup.
¤ Run a job multiple times the same week.
¤ Run a job on multiple days of the month.
¤ Issue a warning before the backup begins.
- Encryption - In prior versions of OutBack Plus, a backup could be password protected. OBP6 expands this facility to allow a backup to be encrypted using up to 256 bit AES Encryption. AES has been adopted by the US Government for top-secret level documents.
- Enhanced Jobs - The job functions have been significantly enhanced and most system options may be set separately for each Job.
- Find - A "Find" function has been added to locate a file with the list of items to backup or restore.
- Text/Log Viewer - The built-in text file viewer is now separate from the main program. Hence, you may view multiple files at a time (i.e. you do not need to close the first view to launch another).
- Live Update - The Live Update process is now separate from the main program. Hence, you only need to grant access to the Internet (through any firewall) once.
- Backup Folder - you may set a "global" default backup folder as well as a backup folder for each Job.
- Additional Data Items - The OBP6 program will automatically include additional data items (e.g. the Office dictionary customization, VCF cards).
OutBack Plus 5 - Detailed Update Notes
- Backup and Restore of "My Documents" and "My Desktop"
- Backup and Restore of the Mozilla FireFox Browser data.
- Ability to add definitions to Backup and Restore for "Personal" folder groups.
- Restore "wizard" to assist with restore of old Outlook data files without altering the existing Outlook data.
- Restore "wizard" to assist with restore of Outlook to be merged with existing Outlook data.
- New scheduler with additional schedule options.
- Ability to create backup "jobs" (to save different selections of data automatically)
- New "Backup Now!" option.